nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 07:00:05 +0200

On 16/Jan/20 11:50, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:

The list of bands seems long, much longer than what my eye is used to.
It is an expression of new chips extremely parametrable and generic.

The band 71 seems to have inside some specifics to 5G, somewhere in
the UHF (hundreds of megahertz).

The bands 42 and 48 are in the 3.5GHz area.  The 3.5GHz are is where
it is likely that some bands are to be allocated for 5G in France.

(other likely 5G frequencies are in the UHF, in 20-something GHz,
60-something and 70-something).

It is for these reasons I believe iphone 11 is ready for 5G.

There could be a ton of bands there, but it doesn't mean they support 5G.

5G isn't just a frequency thing. The phone needs the actual hardware in
there to do it, which is doesn't have.

802.11ax and 802.11a/b/g/n all use 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but they are totally
different bits of hardware in a device.

Mark.