nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP route hijack by AS10990

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 17:10:47 +0200

On 1/Aug/20 15:50, Ca By wrote:

Aviation is regulated.

Which is my point. While, like you, I am not in support in heavy-handed
regulation like most life & death industries require, we also can't be
leaving our industry open for any actor to do as they please.

I am not normally supporting a heavy hand in regulation, but i think
it is fair to say Noction and similar BGP optimizers are unsafe at any
speed and the FTC or similar should ban them in the USA. They harm
consumers and are a risk to national security / critical infrastructure

Noction and similar could have set basic defaults (no-export, only
create /25 bogus routes to limit scope), but they have been clear that
their greed to suck up traffic does not benefit from these defaults
and they wont do it.

Tar and feather them. FTC, do your job.

FTC has done good work before
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/01/ftc-charges-d-link-put-consumers-privacy-risk-due-inadequate