nanog mailing list archives

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

From: Etienne-Victor Depasquale <edepa () ieee org>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 17:48:52 +0200

Intel definitely is pressing for containerized data plane.

Here <https://intelvs.on24.com/vshow/inteldcgevents/#content/2393080>,
@20:49 (registration required), I placed that very question and it took a
bit of humming to obtain a straight answer :)

Etienne

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 5:38 PM <adamv0025 () netconsultings com> wrote:

Wondering whether the industry will consider containerised data-plane in
addition to control-plane (like cRDP).

Having just control-plane and then hacking to kernel for doing the
data-plane bit is …well not as straight forward as having a dedicated
data-plane VM or potentially container.

adam