nanog mailing list archives

Re: Abuse Desks

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 16:14:23 -0700 (PDT)

----- On Apr 29, 2020, at 3:15 PM, mel mel () beckman org wrote:

Hi Mel,

A clever idea to be sure, but it seems open to abuse. What stops someone from
forging a tcp syn from every /24 on the Internet, causing you to blackhole your
access to everywhere?

Fair point, and I lied a bit. My code relies on inet_ntoa(client_addr.sin_addr))
after accept(), so technically it requires a bit more than just a SYN.

But the basic idea is that anyone connecting to IPs that they should not be
connecting to, will be nullrouted from the network for 30 days.

The bad guys automate scanning, I automate blocking.

In the old days (pre-9/11), scriptkiddie-me would simply send a teardrop. Luckily I
have matured slightly since that time.

Thanks,

Sabri