nanog mailing list archives

Re: Phishing and telemarketing telephone calls

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:57:15 -0700

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:12 AM Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:
I suspect the only sure way to identify them is to do
business with them, i.e. buy that extended warranty on your car, or at
least start walking through the process until either payment is made or
they tell you who you'll have to pay.  I wonder, if you agree to buy the
extended warranty, solely for the purpose of identifying them, can you
immediately cancel it / dispute the charge?

Hmm. I wonder... if you get a one-time credit card number from your
bank and limit it to $1, do you get a charge declined message in your
log identifying the merchant?

-Bill

--
William Herrin