nanog mailing list archives

CenturyLink vs L3 and Enterprise Product Offerings

From: Nick Bogle <nick () bogle se>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 16:41:34 -0500

NANOG,

I have been looking into getting an enterprise fiber connection from
Centurylink (original provider at the location was TW Telecom, then L3, now
CenturyLink). When speaking to my rep, he said I had the options listed
below.

Does anyone know the difference between their Consumer Grade, their
Enterprise Grade IQ network, and their Enterprise DIA network?

I am guessing Fiber + Data is CenturyLink backbone delivered over GPON,
Enterprise Data is CenturyLink Enterprise backbone delivered over GPON, and
IQ Data Bundle is CenturyLink backbone delivered over a dedicated pair of
fiber/wavelength/etc, and DIA is L3 backbone delivered over a dedicated
pair of fiber/wavelength/etc?

Fiber + Data only – This is a fiber connection with symmetrical bandwidth
delivered on a shared fiber facility.  This service connects to our
consumer grade DSL internet network at our Central office.  Bandwidth
options 50M, 100M, 500M and 1G
Fiber + Enterprise Data only – This is a fiber connection with symmetrical
bandwidth delivered on a shared fiber facility.  The service connects to
our enterprise grade IQ network at our Central office.  This service has
BGP capabilities but it is limited by the amount of memory in AdTran 5660
device that is included with the service.  Bandwidth options 50M, 100M,
500M and 1G.
IQ Data Bundle – This is a fiber connection with symmetrical bandwidth
delivered on a dedicated fiber facility.  This service connects to our
enterprise grade IQ network at the Central Office and comes with our
industry leading SLA’s and 99.999% uptime guarantee.  This service has full
BGP capabilities with an AdTran 908e that is included with the service.
Bandwidth options are 10M to 10G.
Dedicated Internet Access - This is a fiber connection with symmetrical
bandwidth delivered on a dedicated fiber facility.  This service connects
our enterprise grade network and comes with our Industry leading SLA’s and
99.999% uptime guarantee.  This service can do BGP but the customer will
need to provide the router as CenturyLink does not include one with this
service.  Bandwidth options are 10 to 6G.

Thank you!