nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

From: Matt Hoppes <mattlists () rivervalleyinternet net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 06:42:23 -0700

I disagree with the statement that providers should not be required to backup their networks.... while I don't think it should be an FCC requirement, I do believe the providers have an obligation to do that.

That's one of the reasons we generally opt for larger node sizes. Yes, it does cut down on the total bandwidth you can push out to end users, but in a disaster its much faster to recover as well as provide backup power that is up 24x7 vs hundreds of little nodes.