nanog mailing list archives

Re: Update to BCP-38?

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 09:28:57 -0700

On 10/3/19 8:22 AM, Fred Baker wrote:
Speaking as v6ops chair and the editor of record for 1812.
draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6rtr-reqs kind of fell apart; it was intended to be
an 1812-like document and adopted as such, but many of the
"requirements" that came out of it were specific to the author's
operation and not common to other operators. So it ultimately didn't happen.

Sympathies.  I've been involved in Standards-setting committees, so I
know how that works.  Is there any further work being done?  And just
how much of the current draft can be generalized?

There is no demand until further IPv4 deployment no longer suffices.
I would say that there was no real market demand until after January
2011, and probably 2012 or 2013.>
At this point, there is fairly wide deployment among the ISP and CDN
operators, and vendor implementations are fairly complete. Google,
APNIC, and Akamai report on traffic levels; Google says that they see
at least 5% of the requests they receive from 61 countries use IPv6,
and from one country a tad more that half of the requests they
receive use IPv6.>
So we see IPv6 in broadband, in ISPs, and in telephone networks. To
give you an anecdote, my kids have teased me about IPv6 for years,
and each now have IPv6 service from their various ISPs and telephone
networks despite themselves - and use it for the majority of their
accesses.>
What is visibly lacking is enterprise deployment.

Interesting you should mention that.  One reason I wanted to do an
IPv6-aware BGP-38 module for firewalld was to help break that logjam.
Enterprises are risk-adverse, which is why adoption meets such strong
resistance.

And on lists like this, I am told that there is no deployment - that
nobody wants it, and anyone that disagrees with that assessment has
lost his or her mind. That all leaves me wondering which of us
doesn't quite have their eye on the ball.
For the reasons you provided in your original message, the learning
curve for IPv6 -- EVERYTHING about IPv6, not "just enough to get by" --
is steep and uncertain.

And I think you may be misunderstanding the problem.  It's not that
people don't want it.  They lack the zen of it, they don't see the four
corners of the thing, something that people took years to learn in IPv4.
 (I had a leg up, being involved in the original ARPAnet, so I got to
watch it grow.  Still have the 1984 DDN handbooks, too.)