nanog mailing list archives

We've lost another innovator

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 13:27:11 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Russ Allbery <eagle () eyrie org> -----

From: Russ Allbery <eagle () eyrie org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 20:56:23 -0800
Subject: Brian Kantor has died

Slashdot reported, via a contributor from the 44Net amateur radio mailing
list, that Brian Kantor died suddenly in his home last week.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/11/24/0051236/brian-kantor-internet-and-amprnet-pioneer-wb6cyt-dies

Brian was the co-inventor of NNTP and the co-author of RFC 977, with Phil
Lapsley.  I never met him in person, but have had several opportunities to
chat with him electronically, including as recently as last month (via
NNTP and netnews newsgroups, of course).  He will be missed.

I never met Brian either, but have "known" him electronically for decades.
His was a voice I always paid attention to, even when I disagreed with
what he had to say.  I'm sorry he's gone, and I'll miss him.

---rsk