nanog mailing list archives

Re: any interesting/useful resources available to IPv6 only?

From: James R Cutler <james.cutler () consultant com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 13:33:56 -0400

On May 3, 2019, at 11:47 AM, Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us> wrote:

On 5/3/19 8:14 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to make a case (to old fuddy-duddies, which is why I even
need to actually make a case) for IPv6 for my own selfish reasons.  :-)
I wonder if anyone has any references to interesting/useful/otherwise
resources on are only available to IPv6 users that they can forward to
me.

This type of marketing approach was pursued doggedly for many of the early years of IPv6 rollout. It was as misguided
then as it was ineffective.

If you have plenty of IPv4 space, you have no case for IPv6. (And I say that as one of the most enthusiastic
proponents of it.) OTOH, if you are/might/will be approach(ing) any kind of IPv4 capacity limitation, then you want
to start deploying IPv6 ASAP.

The other case that makes business sense is a content provider with a lot of traffic. You can get different, and
often better, peering relationships over IPv6; and there are a lot of eyeball networks, especially mobile providers,
who are using it natively nowadays.

hope this helps,

Doug

The most valuable/useful network resource available today using IPv6 is a mobile network customer. (Not necessarily
IPV6 only, but IPv4 requires extra effort.)

-
James R. Cutler
James.cutler () consultant com
GPG keys: hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net