nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best practices for BGP Communities

From: Job Snijders <job () instituut net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 10:16:02 +0900

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 8:32 Smith, Courtney <Courtney_Smith () comcast com>
wrote:

On 3/5/19, 6:04 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Job Snijders"
<nanog-bounces+courtney_smith=comcast.com () nanog org on behalf of
job () instituut net> wrote:

    On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 08:42:02PM -0500, Joshua Miller wrote:
    > A while back I read somewhere that transit providers shouldn't delete
    > communities unless the communities have a specific impact to their
    > network, but my google-fu is failing me and I can't find any sources.
    >
    > Is this still the case? Does anyone have a source for the practice of
    > leaving unknown communities alone or deleting them?

Remember policies between two peers may not be same as customer policies.

Example:  Customers_of_transit_X >>> Transit X >>> Peer_A >>
Customers_of_Peer_A

Customers_of_Peer_A may use community A:50 to set local pref to 50 in
Peer_A network.  But that doesn’t not mean Customers_of_transit_X can send
A:50 to set lpref on their routes in Peer_A's network.  Peer_A's policy
with Transit X likely does not take action on customer communities since
they are 'peers' not customers.  Transit X can send A:50 to Peer_A but
nothing would happen.  What's the benefit of Transit X preserving A:50 from
its customers if it means nothing in Transit X?

OP didn’t specify what kind of BGP communities they were referring to. In
general we can separate communities into two categories: “Informational”
and “Action”. You are right that preserving/propagating “action”
communities (such as in your example) probably isn’t that interesting.
“informational” communities on the other hand can be very valuable.

See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8195 for more information on how the two
types differ.

Kind regards,

Job