nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should Netflix and Hulu give you emergency alerts?

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 16:09:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019, Seth Mattinen wrote:
On 3/9/19 12:03 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:
Automatically geo-locating indoor smart speakers and smart TVs is more difficult, but if advertisers can get geolocation information from AT&T, Amazon, Apple, Google, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc; why can't emergency alerts?

There's no technical reason emergency alerts can't be geo located. But advertisers pay for it; emergency alerts aren't revenue generating.

In other words, only rich people deserve to be warned.

Poor people.... Well, I guess they are poor and don't buy enough stuff from advertisers to be considered "revenue generating."

Is that why Amazon, Apple and Google don't have emergency alerts as part of their "smart devices?" Good PR move.

Amazon Alexa will alert me as it tracks my package of stuff, but won't warn me about the tornado about to destroy my neighborhood.