nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traffic ratio of an ISP

From: Prasun Dey <prasun () nevada unr edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 16:30:33 -0400

Hi William,
Ha ha! Thanks for pointing that out. I’m not related to any ISP at all, so this is something new. I understand,
PeeringDB is just a basic guideline and ISPs put their own information about their traffic ratios. I’m interested to
know whether ISPs check their own accumulated traffic and then set their own outbound:inbound traffic ratios threshold
to declare themselves as Heavy Outbound/ Inbound or Balanced. Or, is there some kind of rough understanding among
networking community to treat certain ratios as Heavy/ Mostly Inbound/ Outbound.
Thank you.

-
Prasun

Regards,
Prasun Kanti Dey
Ph.D. Candidate,
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
University of Central Florida
web: https://prasunkantidey.github.io/portfolio/