nanog mailing list archives

Re: SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 22:15:11 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Thomas" <mike () mtcc com>

On 7/15/19 12:07 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
Yes, of course we sent out calls with "spoofed" CNID.

But, even though only 2 or 3 or our 5 carriers* held *our* feet to the fire,
we held the clients' feet to the fire, requiring them to prove to our
satisfaction that they had adminstrative control over the numbers in question.

But it's the carrier's responsibility, properly, to do that work.

How do the clients prove that?

Do you know, I don't know; it was above my paygrade; the few times I stubbed
a toe on it, I threw it over a wall.

I presume that there was paperwork...

Way back when when we were working on mipv6 we had to work through a
somewhat similar problem for handoffs. The ultimate answer was a return
routability test: that is, if you can answer on the address you're
trying to claim "ownership" for, it's good enough.

Might have been a handshake like that; I suspect it was mostly just
"here's a picture of the client's phone bill".

But right you are, it's ultimately the carrier who needs to care about
this problem at or nothing gets better.

Yup.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com