nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Experiment

From: hank () interall co il
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 09:40:08 +0200

On 23/01/2019 19:40, Job Snijders wrote:

I agree with Job.  Continue the experiment and warn us in advance.

-Hank

Dear Ben, all,

I'm not sure this experiment should be canceled. On the public Internet
we MUST assume BGP speakers are compliant with the BGP-4 protocol.
Broken BGP-4 speakers are what they are: broken. They must be fixed, or
the operator must accept the consequences.

"Get a sandbox like every other researcher" is not a fair statement, one
can also posit "Get a compliant BGP-4 implementation like every other
network operator".

When bad guys explicitly seek to target these Asian and Australian
operators you reference (who apparently have not upgraded to the vendor
recommended release), using *valid* BGP updates, will a politely emailed
request help resolve the situation? Of course not!

Stopping the experiment is only treating symptoms, the root cause must
be addressed: broken software.

Kind regards,

Job