nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Experiment

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 10:31:48 -0800

On Jan 9, 2019, at 09:51 , Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera () gmail com> wrote:

9 Jan. 2019 г., 9:56 Randy Bush <randy () psg com <mailto:randy () psg com>>:
the question is how soon the frr
users out on the internet will upgrade.
there are a lot of studies on
this.  it sure isn't on the order of a week

Which is, as usual, a pity, because, generally, synchronizing a piece of software with upstream security updates less
frequently than once to twice in a week belongs in Jurassic Park today; and doing it hardly more frequently than once
in 6 months, as ISPs usually do, clearly belongs in a bughouse.

(wonder if this FRR update has got a CVE number though)

So if I understand you correctly, your statement is that everyone should be (potentially) rebooting every core,
backbone, edge, and other router at least once or twice a week…

To quote Randy Bush… I encourage my competitors to try this.

Owen