nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Experiment

From: Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 21:24:25 +0300

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:07 PM Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:
Not disputing bug or bog house as ideal location for said policy, just
want to explain my perspective why it is so.

So, network device vendors releasing security advisories twice a year
isn't a big part of the explanation?

Hitless upgrades are not really a thing yet, even though they've been
marketed for 20 years now.

This is correct; on the flip side, hitless vulnerabilities haven't
even been marketed, much less invented.

Only reason things work as well as they do, is because bad
guys are not trying to DoS the infrastructure with BGP or
packet-of-deaths

Err... don't they?  My experience is quite the opposite.

If this is something we think should be fixed, then we should have
good guys intentionally fuzzing _public internet_ BGP and
transit-packet-of-deaths with good reporting.

If we could be sure that after such fuzzing there would still be a
working transport infrastructure to report on top of, then yes.

if they are abused, Internet will fix those in no more than
days

 — just like we did with IoT in 2016 —

and trying to guarantee it cannot happen probably is fools
errant

If anything, I suspect if it's cheaper to enter the market with
inferior security and quality then that is likely good business case

This is also correct so far. I wonder if it's here to stay.

--
Töma