nanog mailing list archives

Re: Last Mile Design

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:17:18 -0500

On 2019-02-09 18:59 CET, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

For anyone saying it's "impossible" to do AE they're welcome here to
the nordic region and especially Sweden where PON is basically unheard
of. We have millions of AE connected households. I live in one of them.
However, large parts (probably even most) of our FTTH deployments have
been built, and are owned, by our municipalities, not private companies.
And have had government subsidies.  (Sometimes outsourced to normal
commercial companies, but those companies then have the municipality as
their customer, not us end-users.)

Even without the subsidies, I expect that changes what kind of long-
term view is taken on the investment.  A purely commercial company might
want a return on their investments in just a few years, and if the fiber
plant needs to be replaced in its entirety ten years from now, that will
be the problem of a different CEO. :-)  A municipality (or a company
wholly owned by the municipality) is used to build roads and water pipes
with expected lifetimes of 50 years, and might build their fiber plants
expecting them to live 20 years or longer.

Yes indeed, longer time horizon, but generally not so much subsidized as:

- having a big initial customer (municipal electric utility, water utility, the city or county) - a lot of municipal builds are essentially done for internal purposes, with service to the public as a bonus

- still, usually funded by bonds - long-term money, low rates - and maybe some money from the NTIA (also available to rural coops)

- a view of networks as infrastructure, with cost-recovery pricing, rather than as a revenue stream to milk (same as internal networks at a university or corporation)

By and large, there's a pretty good argument that we SHOULD be viewing broadband networks as infrastructure, with ownership & management to match.  (Fair disclosure, I used to promote that view as director of a non-profit policy shop, and as a consultant to municipal governments.  I've also helped design & build big networks, for big customers - in my days at BBN - so it's an informed opinion :-).

Miles Fidelman

--
In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra