nanog mailing list archives

Re: a detour DANE, was A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

From: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel () besserwisser org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:11:05 +0100

Subject: Re: a detour DANE, was A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking Date: Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at
08:47:19AM +0000 Quoting Mike Meredith (mike.meredith () port ac uk):
On 27 Feb 2019 13:07:09 -0500, "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com> may have
written:
The IETF one says that nobody used type 99, and some of the few
implementations we saw were broken, so we deprecated it.

And just after I'd finished adding in all the SPF records too, so I had to
turn around and take all them out again immediately after.

You did not have to. I still have them in. (As well as TXT records that
almost look like them, but mostly are there to tickle parser bugs. )

I still get queries for SPF.  Obviously "TXT as RRtype for SPF data"
is a failure and needs to be re-deprecated. (No, I'm joking, but I wish I
wasn't.)

Type-squatting is bad for the Internet, and should be discouraged. And,
Carthago should be destroyed.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668