nanog mailing list archives

Re: Weekly Routing Table Report

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 18:27:49 -0700

On Aug 31, 2019, at 05:04, Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp> wrote:

Owen DeLong wrote:

However, since you don’t like Comcast, let’s try another one that has
few (if any) mergers involved:

I don't think so.

Care to expand on this?

AS6939 — 125 prefixes...

Are you spamming?

No... HE has not acquired a significant number of other businesses to the best of my knowledge.

Admittedly some of this appears to be TE routes, but compare with:
2001::/32 2001:470::/32 2001:470:1A::/48 2001:DF2:7900::/48

If you are saying some merger happened before v6 transition,
which explains why there are less v6 prefix than v4, I can agree
with you.

But, so what?

To the best of my knowledge, HE transitioned to v6 very early in their history, so I tend to doubt it.

Without automatic renumbering, IPv6 is of no help against mergers.
Merging 10 organizations each of whom have 27 IPv6 prefixes = 270
prefixes. Merging 10 organizations each of whom have 125 IPv4
prefixes = 1250 prefixes.

The number of prefixes by swamp is recognized to be not a problem
even when we were discussing it in 1998 when there was only less
than 50000 prefixes.

Sure, but the number of multi homed sites is way _WAY_ less than
the IPv4 routing table size.

Yeah, not quite the whole story in that one word… Let's look at what
is driving that increase in "multihoming"…

OK. You admit that the problem is caused by multihoming. OK.

No, I admit multihoming is one of several factors.

I don't think I must explain the current routing practice here.
You don’t need to explain the current routing practice, but if you
want to be taken seriously, simply assuming that every possible /24
in IPv4 and/or every possible /48 in IPv6 will be eventually
advertised is a case of reductio ad absurdum. I was trying to give
you a chance to provide a better argument for your position.

I don't think I need such chance as my argument is already good enough.

We can agree to disagree about this as is usually the case.

While I appreciate that you enjoy speaking to people in condescending
tones, looking at the history and current trends shows that we are in
a period where Moore's law is leveling off.

I'm afraid you are not very familiar with semiconductor technology
trend.

Repeating your condescending statement doesn’t make it any more accurate the second time.

Owen