nanog mailing list archives

Re: syn flood attacks from NL-based netblocks

From: Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 20:44:47 +0300

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 8:12 PM Damian Menscher <damian () google com> wrote:
A factor of 2 is "rounding error" and we probably shouldn't
waste our time on it (eg, by designing solutions to reduce
amplification factors) when we could instead be targeting
the sources of spoofed traffic.

Ah, fine.  Spoofing is obviously the root cause here.
I was mostly addressing the statement that factors of 2 to 5 aren't
"particularly interesting for attackers or defenders". In my
experience they certainly are.

this particular "carpet-bombing" attack isn't likely to be
mitigated at the network layer anyway... the load is
distributed across thousands of machines which can
each trivially handle the state.

Not in a typical DC/ISP environment!  With the solution you propose, a
perfect routing symmetry is a hard requirement, b/c you need to make
sure a returning SYN/ACK hits the very same machine as the initial
SYN.  As long as you expect a DDoS to be handled somewhere close to
the border of your network, this is hardly achievable for a network
growing in size.

--
Töma