nanog mailing list archives

RE: MAP-E

From: Philip Loenneker <Philip.Loenneker () tasmanet com au>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 01:43:00 +0000

Moving away from the discussion around what technology people may choose to go with, and instead what CPEs may be
suitable...

I know this is 464XLAT rather than MAP-E that was originally requested, but recent versions of D-Link firmware, eg for
the DVA-2800, include the CLAT functionality. My testing in November last year showed that it only partially worked,
with the traceroutes to 64:ff9b::1.1.1.1 working, but it would not automatically translate a traceroute to 1.1.1.1 to
the IPv6 version. There have been a few new revisions since then and it is on my to-do list to re-test things, but I
haven't had the time.

It is also worth noting that, in the original firmware revision I tested, I had to manually enter the URL for the CLAT
configuration screen. It simply wasn't on the menu. On another version, it had a link to DS-Lite configuration, and
from there you get a link to the CLAT options. It is possible that other devices and/or vendors also have this option,
or options for similar technologies such as MAP-E, but they just don't have a link to it in the interface.