nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation (fwd)

From: Matt Harris <matt () netfire net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 11:41:18 -0500

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 11:28 AM Carlos Friaças via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
wrote:

Hi,

Just to let everybody know that a petition was started in order to try
to enable a policy discussion about "BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy
Violation".

If you would like to read the proposal, it is available at:
https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/proposals/2019/ARIN_prop_266_v2/

Discussions are already ongoing at RIPE and LACNIC.

Best Regards,
Carlos

Hey Carlos,
Can you (or someone else on the list, perhaps even someone who was involved
in voting this down) provide some more details as to why it was rejected?
What were the arguments in favor of rejecting the proposal?  This seems
like an interesting idea to me, and one that I can't immediately come up
with any arguments against from my own perspective.  There's probably some
room for discussing and tuning specifics, but ultimately the concept seems
reasonable to me.  What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Matt