nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast storing WiFi passwords in cleartext?

From: Sean Figgins <sean () labrats us>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 21:22:35 -0600

On 4/23/19 8:35 PM, Peter Beckman wrote:
Get your own router if you're worried about your Wifi Password being known
by Comcast. Or change to WPA2 Enterprise, but I'm guessing that isn't
supported on the router...

Original post seems to be someone that bought a used modem/router combo.  Since the combo is part cable model, and needs to be provisioned by the MSP, it is going to have access to parts of the config, including the wireless password.  It is unknown if the password is stored in plaintext in Comcast's database, and I doubt that someone from Comcast is going to validate that.  It is being displayed to the account owner for their benefit.  I honestly see nothing wrong with this in and of itself.

At the same time, I refuse to use one of these combo modem/router/WAP.  I don't want Comcast to steal my Internet for their roaming wireless, and also don't trust their security.  I do all that myself on my own hardware, and prefer to be responsible for my own security.  I suspect most people to be lazy.

 -Sean