nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN RPKI TAL deployment issues

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 02:09:39 -0400

(I'm going to regret posting this later, but...)

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 10:57 PM John Curran <jcurran () arin net> wrote:

The significant difference for ARIN is that we operate under a different
legal regime, and as a matter of US law, it appears that we cannot rely
only upon terms and conditions published in our website as evidence of
informed agreement; i.e. within the US legal framework, we need a specific
act of acceptance in order to have a binding agreement.

how is arin's problem here different from that which 'lets encrypt' is
facing with their Cert things?
Don't they have the same sort of problem as ARIN? "somoene trusted a cert
signed by LE for "thing" and got scammed/harmed/etc"

It seems odd, to me anyway, that this is seemingly so very different...
I also would like less friction in the RPKI process...I don't think it
serves ARIN, it's community nor the global internet community to make
things harder to secure/validate.