nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reaching out to ARIN members about their RPKI INVALID prefixes

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:31:08 -0700

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 1:19 AM Job Snijders <job () instituut net> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 01:07:42AM -0700, Christopher Morrow wrote:
it is about whether it is acceptable that RIRs (and more
specifically ARIN in this mailing list's context) notify affected
parties of their prefixes that suffer from stale ROAs.

This I still think is a bad plan.. mostly because I don't think it'll
help :( I think what helps is: "Oh, I cant get to <foo> and <bar> and
<most of the internet>" .... I think folk that CARE will do the right
thing, folk that 'think they care' won't and will soon get
disconnected from the tubez.

I apologize a tad if my view that: "breaking people will force them to
fix themselves" is .... rough :(

What about an one-off outreach effort?

first I'm certainly happy about any progress on the 'RPKI DONE RIGHT'
direction, and specifically Job you as a person have made some awesome
progress here getting IXP/ISP folk to move to OV and RPKI deployments, and
adding RPKI/ROA data into the NTT IRR.

but.. I'm skeptical of distinct efforts like this.
I think something like (I think these folk still offer this service: "bgp
monitoring") BgpMon's monitoring service is what we should aim for: "A
service that RPKI users have signed up for"

Else: "ends up in spam folder" :(

We need to somehow kickstart the feedback loop, especially if we expect
effects to become forceful. I'm hoping that if the invalid count is low
enough it'll become more attractive for more people flip the switch and
deploy OV.

Sure.... but: "can not access a majority of the internet?" seems like a
good signal to the affected folks.

Kind regards,

Job