nanog mailing list archives

Re: Massive Price Increase for X-conns at Telehouse Chelsea, NYC

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 08:20:37 -0700

On 9/17/18 7:57 AM, Fredy Kuenzler wrote:
Is anyone else affected by a massive price increase for x-conns by
Telehouse Chelsea?

When we moved in a few years ago they were asking 150$, it changed to
200$ and now we are asked to pay 260$. That's 73% more. I don't think
inflation is that high in the United states.

I get the impression that they feel comfortable enough to abuse their
position. When we complained they simply said 'you may consider to
cancel the contract'.

They know that most people will complain, but they very few will actually pull the trigger on a cancel. I see attitudes like this change with ownership or new executives looking to make their mark. Prices will keep going up until whatever metric of how many customers actually cancel is met.

If you're able to cancel, I say do it. One of two things will happen: you'll call their bluff and get offered a better rate, or 2) you get to move somewhere that has a better rate and you know to make sure it's contracted or has a cap on how much it can increase on an annual basis. Yes, moving is horribly inconvenient, but in my opinion it's worse to work with a company who is hostile towards their customers.

~Seth