nanog mailing list archives

RE: bloomberg on supermicro: sky is falling

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 15:26:39 -0400

On October 10, 2018 at 17:58 SNaslund () medline com (Naslund, Steve) wrote:
It only proves that you have seen the card at some point.  Useless.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL

I'm pretty sure the "entire point" of inventing CVV was to prove you
physically have the card.

It's not useless, it protects against what it protects. Like
dumpster-diving in the imprint days or if someone gets hold of all the
credit card numbers + expirations (+ names, maybe) from your
database. If you don't store CVVs (which is forbidden by contract)
they won't have CVVs and sites which require them won't accept
transactions. It's kind of like a PIN but yes too easily stolen.

A friend used to write "ASK FOR PHOTO ID" in the signature portion of
his credit cards and, I saw this, cashiers would look at it, look at
his signature as if they were comparing, and say OK thank you!

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () TheWorld com             | http://www.TheWorld.com