nanog mailing list archives

Re: bloomberg on supermicro: sky is falling

From: Brian Kantor <Brian () ampr org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 07:32:14 -0700

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 02:21:40PM +0000, Naslund, Steve wrote:
For example, with tokenization there is no reason at all for any
retailer to be storing your credit card data (card number, CVV, exp
date) at all (let alone unencrypted) but it keeps happening over
and over.

It's been a while since I've had to professionally worry about this,
but as I recall, compliance with PCI [Payment Card Industry] Data
Security Standards prohibit EVER storing the CVV.  Companies which
do may find themselves banned from being able to process card
payments if they're found out (which is unlikely).
        - Brian