nanog mailing list archives

Re: Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 11:10:07 +0200

On 29/May/18 10:40, Nick Hilliard wrote:

it's a term which refers to post-WWII militarily non-aligned
countries, for example Kenya, Switzerland, Sweden or the DRC.
Obviously there is a clear correlation between mobile data coverage
quality and political neutrality stances - I don't understand why you
can't see this.

My refrain was tongue-in-cheek.

I know its etymology being rooted in military alignment. However, I'm
referring to it from the evolution of the term being associated with
poverty in recent years/decades. I've never quite heard anyone call
Switzerland a 3rd world country.

If someone thinks (lack of) political neutrality is a guaranteed measure
of mobile data coverage and penetration, the Chinese and Malaysians must
be doing something different; being 2nd and 3rd world countries and all
:-)...

But seriously, let's try to stay on-topic.

Mark.