nanog mailing list archives

Re: Whois vs GDPR, latest news

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 07:45:33 +0300

On 23/05/2018 04:50, John Levine wrote:
What about the likely truth that if anyone from Europe mails the list, then
every mail server operator with subscribers to the list must follow the
GDPR Article 14 notification requirements, as the few exceptions appear to
not apply (unless you’re just running an archive).
Some of us whose businesses and equipment are entirely in North
America will take our chances. This is NANOG, not EUNOG, you know.
Also, one thing that has become painfully clear is that the number of
people who imagine that they understand the GDPR exceeds the number
who actually understand it by several orders of magnitude. The "you
have to delete all my messages from the archive if I unsubscribe"
nonsense is a good indicator. R's, John
Every generation needs its religious wars.  Unix vs Windows.  OSI vs
TCPIP.  Now there is GDPR vs Theworld.

-Hank