nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Unique Local Addresses (was Re: New Active Exploit: memcached on port 11211 UDP & TCP being exploited for reflection attacks)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 04:12:15 -0800

On Mar 2, 2018, at 3:17 AM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no> wrote:

Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes:

What can you do with ULA that GUA isn’t suitable for?

1) get
2) keep
3) move

Wrong.

1) get
        Easy as going to http://tunnelbroker.net <http://tunnelbroker.net/> and filling out a form. Remember to check
the box for your /48.

2) keep
        Admittedly, you might have to connect to your tunnel every once in a while to keep it alive, but that’s
        hardly a high bar.

3) move
        If you’re not talking to the internet with it (which you can’t with ULA, theoretically), you can move that same
        HE /48 anywhere you want, with the additional advantage that you can, if you need to, connect your tunnel
        and actually make it work on the internet too.

Granted, many of us can do that with GUAs too.  But with ULA those
features are avaible to everyone everywhere.  Which is useful for a

You really think that doing ULA according to the RFCs (collision avoidance algorithm and all) is easier
than filling out a form at HE? REALLY?

number of applications where you care mostly about the local environment
and not so much about global connectivity.

I hear you, but I’m not convinced about the ease.

Owen