nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Unique Local Addresses (was Re: New Active Exploit: memcached on port 11211 UDP & TCP being exploited for reflection attacks)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 03:53:45 -0800

On Mar 1, 2018, at 6:30 PM, Harald Koch <chk () pobox com> wrote:

On 1 March 2018 at 18:48, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

ULA provide stable internal addresses which survive changing ISP
for the average home user.

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm doing. ULA for stable, internal addresses
that I can put into the (internal) DNS: ISP prefixes for global routing.
Renumbering is hard.

All of the objections I've seen to ULA are actually objections to (IPv6)
NAT, which is why I was confused.

I object to NAT more strongly than ULA, but IMHO, even if you aren’t going to route it, a block of GUA PI makes more
sense than ULA for virtually any installation I can imagine.

Owen