nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux BNG

From: Denys Fedoryshchenko <denys () visp net lb>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:03:59 +0300

On 2018-07-14 22:05, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
I have considered OpenFlow and might do that. We have OpenFlow capable
switches and I may be able to offload the work to the switch hardware.
But I also consider this solution harder to get right than the idea of
using Linux with tap devices. Also it appears the Openvswitch
implements a different flavour of OpenFlow than the hardware switch
(the hardware is limited to some fixed tables that Broadcom made up),
so I might not be able to start with the software and then move on to
hardware.
AFAIK openflow is suitable for datacenters, but doesn't scale well for users termination purposes.
You will run out from TCAM much sooner than you expect.
Linux tap device has very high overhead, it suits no more than working as some hotspot gateway for 100s of users.

Regards,

Baldur