nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux BNG

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:35:14 +0200

On 14/Jul/18 20:29, tony () wicks co nz wrote:

My biggest issue with the vendor offerings is that they are not making their virtual offerings (VMX, VSR) attractive
enough pricing wise at the small scale, we have successful virtual Juniper and Nokia BNG's in production but pricing
wise it generally ends up with the service provider thinking that hardware was probably a better choice in the long
run.

vBNG's are fraught with imperceptible license fees. But yes, if you had
do deploy a BNG on an x86 box, a vBNG from a well-known vendor will
likely be less problematic to setup and scale than a BNG based on Linux.
Then again, I last researched this in 2016, so things could have changed
a tad.

Mark.