nanog mailing list archives

Re: deploying RPKI based Origin Validation

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:37:26 -0600

On 07/13/2018 10:25 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
you get the option at input (from transit/peering edge say) to evaluate the 'rpki status' of a particular route, then set normal bgp attributes based on that evaluation, so yes you can:

    valid == localopref 1000  && community-A
    unknown == localpref 80 && community-B
    invalid == localpref 1 && community-Z

ACK

but given:
    192.168.0.0/16 - valid
    192.168.0.0/17  - unknown
     192.168.0.0/24 - invalid

your routing system will still forward toward the 192.168.0.0/24 prefix because 'longest prefix match'.

*facePALM*

Thank you.

So the information would be carried across the network, but it still suffers from the same problem.

Job's plan, I think, is that you reject/drop/do-not-accept the 'invalid' prefix(es) and hope that you follow another / proper path.

Yep.

You would almost need separate logical networks / VRF to be able to prevent the longest prefix match winning issue that you reminded me of.

Perhaps Mark could send along ONLY the valid/unknown routes to his customer, or some mix of the set based on what type of customer:

   super-sekure-customer - valid only
   sorta-sekure-customer - valid/unknown
   wild-wild-west-customer - all

Yep.  That's what I was thinking of.

it sounded like Mark didn't want to deal with that complexity in his network, until more deployment and more requests from customers like;

Fair.

Customer: "Hey, why did my traffic get hijacked to paY(omlut)pal.com yesterday?"
   Mark: "because you didn't ask for 'super-sekure-customer config? sorry?"

I could have misunderstood either mark or job or you.. of course.

You understood me correctly.

Thank you for explaining what I was missing.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die