nanog mailing list archives

Re: deploying RPKI based Origin Validation

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 12:25:21 -0400

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 11:19 AM Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
wrote:

The reading I did on RPKI / OV yesterday made me think that it is
possible to have validated routes preferred over unknown routes which
are preferred over invalid routes.  So I'd think that you could still
have the routes through your core but conditionally advertise the
prefixes to customers based on their desires.

you get the option at input (from transit/peering edge say) to evaluate the
'rpki status' of a particular route, then set normal bgp attributes based
on that evaluation, so yes you can:
   valid == localopref 1000  && community-A
   unknown == localpref 80 && community-B
   invalid == localpref 1 && community-Z

but given:
   192.168.0.0/16 - valid
   192.168.0.0/17  - unknown
    192.168.0.0/24 - invalid

your routing system will still forward toward the 192.168.0.0/24 prefix
because 'longest prefix match'.
Job's plan, I think, is that you reject/drop/do-not-accept the  'invalid'
prefix(es) and hope that you follow another / proper path.
Perhaps Mark could send along ONLY the valid/unknown routes to his
customer, or some mix of the set based on what type of customer:
  super-sekure-customer - valid only
  sorta-sekure-customer - valid/unknown
  wild-wild-west-customer - all

it sounded like Mark didn't want to deal with that complexity in his
network, until more deployment and more requests from customers like;
  Customer: "Hey, why did my traffic get hijacked to paY(omlut)pal.com
yesterday?"
  Mark: "because you didn't ask for 'super-sekure-customer config? sorry?"

I could have misunderstood either mark or job or you.. of course.

I would appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to explain what
I'm misunderstanding.  Or better, point me to some better documentation
to read myself.

Thank you from the peanut gallery.

--
Grant. . . .