nanog mailing list archives

Confirming source-routed multicast is dead on the public Internet

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 17:28:31 -0400 (EDT)

Its tought to prove a negative. I'm extremely confident the answer is yes, public internet multicast is not viable. I did all the google searches, check all the usual CAIDA and ISP sites. IP Multicast is used on private enterprise networks, and some ISPs use it for some closed services.

I got sent back with a random comment from a senior official saying "but I heard different." I bit my tongue, and said I would double (now quadruple) check.

If any ISPs have working IP source-routed multicast on the public Internet that I missed, or what I got wrong. That's what content distribution networks (cdn's) are for instead.