nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rising sea levels are going to mess with the internet

From: Rod Beck <rod.beck () unitedcablecompany com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 17:06:01 +0000

I don't have a strong feeling on this matter, but it is not the average increase that matters. Every small increase in
average has a multiplier effect on storm surge.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/10/23/1715895114.

Nonetheless, my guess is that the real threat is to general property close to the shore, not the terrestrial cables
even though they are not waterproof (only submarine cable can handle long term immersion).

Regards,

Roderick.