nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rising sea levels are going to mess with the internet

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 16:31:40 -0400

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Bob Evans <bob () fiberinternetcenter com> wrote:
How much ocean water displacement is taking place in Hawaii as a result of
eruptions?  How about volcanoes we don't know about deep in the ocean?

Not much on a global scale. The rift that has been erupting for what's
it been, 3 months or so now? That's added a little over a square mile
of coast, all of it where shallow water used to be.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/maps_uploads/image-521.jpg

I plan to retire on the slope of a different volcano, so I've been
watching with interest.

In the last 5 years, California governments have played a negative roll in
the burning of well over a million acres. These carbon emissions are
rarely calculated and considered as a cause of global warming. How many
California miles driven in cars = one 250,000 acre fire? I don't know.

Greenhouse gasses are also emitted when dead plant matter rots in the
forest. Not as quickly but there's a whole lot of it.

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2017/decomposing-leaves-are-a-surprising-source-of-greenhouse-gases/

But anyways - can we please drop the non-internet related discussions from
filling my nanog filtered technical email folders?

Apparently not. ;)

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>