nanog mailing list archives

Re: automatic rtbh trigger using flow data

From: Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 08:15:35 -0700

On Fri 2018-Aug-31 06:59:29 +0700, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> wrote:

On 31 Aug 2018, at 6:47, Aaron Gould wrote:

I'm really surprised that you all are doing this based on source ip, simply because I thought the distribution of botnet members around the world we're so extensive that I never really thought it possible to filter based on sources, i

Using S/RTBH to drop attack sources has been a valid and useful mitigation tactic for close to 20 years. Any kind of modern router scales up to large numbers of sources; and note that S/RTBH isn't limited to /32s.

It's discussed in this .pdf preso:

<https://app.box.com/s/xznjloitly2apixr5xge>

I would love an upstream that accepts flowspec routes to get granular about drops and to basically push "stateless ACLs" upstream.

_keeps dreaming_

--
Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo () slabnet com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal