nanog mailing list archives

RE: California fires: smart speakers and emergency alerts

From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf () dessus com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2018 13:44:04 -0600

The point of the study in proposed bill is customers of Netflix and
Spotify (just to pick on them because everyone seems too) watching videos
on "Smart TVs" or listening on "Smart Speakers" may not realize those
devices won't get emergency alerts like their old-fashion AM/FM radios
and over-the-air TVs.  If Netflix or Spotify customers are watching or
listening on their "Smart Phones", they do get emergency alerts from the
cell phone provider.

I haven't used an "over-the-air" TV in fifty years ...

Much like watching Netflix and listening to Spotify on smart phones,
Netflix and Spotify do not control the alert function on Smart TVs
and
Smart Speakers. The alarm API of smart devices is predominately
controlled
by Amazon Alexa (34%), Google Assistant (34%), Apple Siri (10%), and
others (21%). The message waiting notification API isn't a real
substitute
for an emergency alert API.

Thank the lord I have none of those things and never intend to have any of those things.

Also, I only ever use "stupid" devices.  Nary a "Smart" device is permitted anywhere near me or any network I use.

---