nanog mailing list archives

Re: Confirming source-routed multicast is dead on the public Internet

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 20:51:13 +0300

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 at 20:47, Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:

I'm sure both of your use cases are used extensively in internal
network. I've worked for company who distributed broadcast TV on their
MPLS IP backbone, two-plane network, red and blue, one copy for each
tv channel on both planes and far-end drops redundant copy. Very
attractive solution commercially for client and provider. But no
potential for global scale.

Just to clarify what I mean by 'broadcast TV', these streams were not
received by set-top boxes receiving IP packets. End-users were
cable/antennae users, 'client' was receiving the content at antennae
site to be transmitted over air.
Classically these are separate purpose built networks, which are very
expensive, so in this particular case everyone won, except the legacy
provider who was billing for the purpose built network.

--
  ++ytti