nanog mailing list archives

Re: replacing compromised biometric authenticators

From: "Jörg Kost" <jk () ip-clear de>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 15:24:02 +0200

Hi,

in the case I mentioned, the datacenter provider (=Level3) removed hand geometry scanners from its facility and switched all users to card + pin. Also the provider is going to run this policy Germany- or even Europe-wide, as being told by Level3 account rep.

The mentioned facility does not have any tailgating prevention, e.g. a mantrap or turnstile access. The outside door, which is visible from the street, and the inside colocation doors are now sharing the same access method (card + pin). So now the card becomes valuable and transferable. Before it was: Parking lot: Card, Outside door: Card + pin, Inside door: Card + hand.

There is a security sub-sub-contractor on this site, but they are not responsible for access or any thing real :-], thats why I am interested how Level3 runs its others facility and I am still looking for feedback. From contract side the access device is not exactly defined, hence you can accept, quit end of term or of course upgrade your suites, racks, … with a custom solution, as long as Level3 staff can enter, too.

To bring things back to the biometric topic:
The hand geometry scanner does not save fingerprints but hand sizes and shapes. From current mailings I understand, that people have a lot of different definition of biometric and may not count the hand scanner as "(full?) biometric" device.

Regards "bionic"
Jörg