nanog mailing list archives

Re: 4 or smaller digit ASNs

From: Steve Jones <thatoneguysteve () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 00:55:35 -0500

as i understand it, you cant do bgp at all under 5

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org> wrote:

James,

As far as I know, you can't buy an existing ASN for any amount of money.
You can buy the company that owns it, but that seems like boiling tea with
a blowtorch.

I sincerely doubt there are unused low-number ASNs, but you could always
ask ARIN.

I'm curious what your client's rationale is for wanting a low ASN. It
can't be efficiency, since the numbers all take the same number of bits
ultimately. If they just like small numbers, I'd advise them to forget it
-- life is too short. If they have a real technical reason that nobody has
foreseen (or at least I haven't foreseen), I'd love to hear it.

 -mel beckman

On Oct 11, 2017, at 10:01 PM, James Breeden <James () arenalgroup co>