nanog mailing list archives

RE: Making interconnection agreements between networks more dynamic

From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf () dessus com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 17:40:11 -0600

to me, this was the dream of optical switching and gmpls (which is
not mpls)
And, pray tell, what is the use of me setting up "peering" between
myself and a network on the other side of the world when the data
still has to flow over the same connections, merely encapsulated
inside a tunnel?

read "which is not mpls" a few more times.  than maybe read a bit on
gmpls and optical switching.  you may find
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_Multi-Protocol_Label_Switching
a reasonable place to start.

Ok, but does this still not pre-suppose that an appropriate physical path that has sufficient available bandwidth/slots
is already present?