nanog mailing list archives

Re: EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 03:11:57 +0000

I generally believe less government is better government. But government is still necessary for a few things, such as
the military. And privacy. Because privacy invasion is a crime committed in secret, so economic "voting" doesn't work.
Without a law prohibiting selling of browser data, ISPs will simply lie and say they don't do it (as many already have).

A VPN is no help. Every browser has to jump on the bare Internet somewhere, and where it does, data can be captured and
then analyzed to identify individual user signatures. As the NSA (thank you Snowden) has so ably demonstrated.

A law gives victims access to the power of legal discovery, civil damages, and even criminal prosecution. Where data
privacy is concerned, we must have it.

 -mel beckman