nanog mailing list archives

Testing methodology for the Chinese quantum satellite link?

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 09:57:37 -0700

Does anyone who understands quantum networking better than I do have an opinion on the testing methodology that the
Chinese team used to confirm entanglement?  I guess, more specifically, my question is: when they say that they got 911
positive results out of “millions” of attempts, does this significantly exceed any expected false-positive rate for the
confirmation methodology?  If so, by what margin?  Obviously, if you were just flipping coins, and measured the results
once, you’d get 50% positive correlation, twice and you’d get 25% correlation, ten times and you’d get 0.1%
correlation, and you’d be at 911 out of a million.  So, how much better than that are we talking about?

                                -Bill