nanog mailing list archives

Re: Waste will kill ipv6 too

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon () orthanc ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 18:15:45 -0800

On Dec 28, 2017, at 6:11 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer () mauigateway com> wrote:

All I was trying to say is there're going to be things
not thought of yet that will chew up address space
faster than ever before now that everyone believes it's
essentially inexhaustible.  And, I expect, sooner than
imagined.

If that's the case, it will be because there were few restrictions placed upon that address space.

And if some genius comes up with something that burns through all the IPv6 address space, you can rest assured the
market (and not the IETF) will come up with a replacement that extends things beyond 128 bits in a ripping big hurry.