nanog mailing list archives

Re: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:42:03 -0500

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

If we don’t end up needing to fix other things and replace the codebase
with something that would allow us to redo the address space in the
next 120 years, I’ll be quite surprised.

Hi Owen,

I bet you're wrong about that. I've been doing experiments with using
ephemeral aggregated address hierarchies instead of routing. That's about
as radical a change as changes get. No surprise that TCP fails, DNS blows
up and the static subnet is rendered obsolete. One of the surprises was
that IPv6 itself, the layer 3 protocol, works as well as anything new that
could be designed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>